Japan

Japan
Chizu area

Tuesday 19 January 2016

Death - Part 1


I thought I would go on a long walk, in the snow up a mountain track in the beautiful light of Olafsfjordur

and because it seems to be surrounding me,
a running theme almost in my life at the moment. I thought I would reflect on death. 

I thought coming here with open spaces,
time and the beauty of nature I would have the opportunity to think about some things.


Sometimes I feel I need to wallow in it, so I can get my head around things and understand it all.


But it wasn't like that at all - I went for a walk in the fresh, crunchy snow and I saw all this and I thought about life ...... and nature ......and John Muir - it was just too beautiful and uplifting. 



" Some of the days I have spent alone in the depths of the wilderness have shown me that immortal life
beyond the grave is not essential to perfect happiness, for these diverse days were so complete there was no sense of time in them, they had no definite beginning or ending,and formed a kind of terrestrial immortality. After days like these we are ready for any fate - pain, grief, death or oblivion - 
with grateful heart for the glorious gift as long as hearts shall endure. In the meantime, our indebtedness is growing ever more. The sun shines and the stars, and new beauty meets us at every step in all our wanderings." 

Life before Death - John Muir 



No comments:

Post a Comment