Japan

Japan
Chizu area

Sunday 22 September 2019

Back to basics ... Good Cludgie (if you're Scottish) ....how to use atoilet.






There is nothing more important than the basics of life and one of the first things I noticed about Japan were the array of toilets and the very many instructions of how to use them. 




They are like Temples to the art of doing the business.




And here's a wee selection




Sit down 




You can flush and wash your hands at the same time with many of them.... handy.




Always be polite




This one is not for sitting on.... enjoy washing your hands though.




Or enjoy this one with it's cosy velvet seat, many seats are heated.




But most importantly learn how to use it !
























At first I laughed at this amount of instruction, but it didn't take long before I needed to ask how to use one.
It was in Mino in the Japanese Alps in Gifu Prefecture, the couple who owned the guest house were very lovely..funny and generous and spoke very little English( better than my poor grasp of Japanese of course) but it didn't stop them trying to communicate and make jokes.

I had to ask how to use the toilet, I meant flush it. The wife came and sat on the toilet and acted through what everything did, how it cleans both front and behind and what you have to do. It took some while before I found out how to flush, but I was happy to know about the other things and have been enjoying them ever since.











Not sure what this is trying to say, but I don't think it's a game.






But there is most definitely an etiquette to toilet paper use.






When I first arrived every toilet I went into the paper looked like this, either someone was rushing in to fold it this way, or each person must do this when they leave. It's not as easy as it seems though. I tried the one above which is why it is wonky. 






I don't know what this says, but i'm sure any Japanese readers will, hope it's worth it.





Visiting a 'restroom' in Japan is a whole new experience, much more interesting than in Europe or the UK.


1 comment: